Lemon Orange Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
There are many versions of this particular cookie, but none quite so tender and rich as this one. The addition of orange and lemon juice ensures a tender dough and adds a flavor nuance that is very appealing.
4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ cups unsalted butter, cool room temperature
1 cup extra-fine sugar
3 large egg yolks
freshly grated zest of 1 large orange
freshly grated zest of 1 large lemon
3 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites, slightly beaten, in a small mixing bowl
12 ounces (3 cups) pecans, minced, in a small mixing bowl
16-ounce jar maraschino cherries in syrup, well drained and halved
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream butter and sugar together thoroughly.
- Add egg yolks, and beat until fluffy.
- Add orange zest, lemon zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla, and combine.
- Refrigerate dough for at least two hours.
- With your hands, roll rounded two teaspoons (#70 commercial scoop) of dough into balls. Roll each ball in egg white, then in chopped pecans.
- Arrange, 1-inch apart on a lightly greased, parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Press a cherry half into the center of each cookie, flattening slightly.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, until the cookies are set and only slightly browning on the bottom. Cool on wire racks.
Makes about six dozen cookies.
Copyright 2015 Susan S. Bradley. All rights reserved.